DNC 2024

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

DNC 2024

Post by BoSoxGal »

Are you watching?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Re: DNC 2024

Post by Big RR »

I gnerally avoid conventions and look at the headlines and postings/

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Is it on? Let me watch the Leicester City vs. Spurs highlights and then I'll check it out.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

No but I’m listening to political commentators on YouTube
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Tried to watch on the ABC Newstream live. the video works but there's no sound - only a constant hissing. Of course that may be the crowd . . . .
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Watching. It's Labor Night, so that works for me.
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Hillary bringing it.
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Jasmine Crockett, my word!
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The love-fest (I love my daddy! I love my husband!) was a little nauseating.

But Joe is hitting all the high notes with his speech. He's doing well, bringing the conversation to what it should be: what the Democratic presidency has done so far and will continue under Harris.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

"Crime will come down when we put a prosecutor in the Oval Office and not a convicted felon!" - a line to remember.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I didn't watch it (taking in clips here and there) but this had to be one of the soundbites of the night:

DEI: Definitely Earned It
“Because you have to be twice as good to get half as far.”
—The Ancestors

“I'm not courageous, I'm surrounded by cowards”
—Adam Kinzinger

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I soaked two hankies.

I still think Joe could have won and served admirably.

But people like new shiny things, and many of the women in America are long past ready for one of us in the WH.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:30 am
... and many of the women in America are long past ready for one of us in the WH.
I just hope it doesn't come down to the gender thing — the guys vs the girls.   You and I would have no problem voting for a woman for the state legislature, Congress, or the position of POTUS, but if we are totally honest with ourselves we have to acknowledge that there are any number of people — Dems, Reps, Independents — who, once they are alone with their ballot, will not vote for Harris simply because she is female.

It's not right, but as Walter Cronkite used to say, "...that's the way it is."
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The D woman running for president in 2016 got over 2 million more votes than the sorry excuse for a man running on the R ticket who won only thanks to a couple hundred thousand votes in four key states that at the time had reproductive freedom.

In the 8 years since a lot of dinosaurs have died and a lot of progressive thinking young people have come into the vote and into the political process - see 2018, 2020, 2022 - fighting for their futures in the face of an alarming rollback of fundamental rights.

I think it's likely the incels will stay home in the basement and not be anywhere near as motivated to get to the polls as the women with their lives on the line and the good men who care about them.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I heard only the Biden speech, on PBS radio. As one who has voted for Biden every time he has been on the ballot in Delaware, I was surprised. I heard more animation and sincerity and genuine 'I care' than I have ever heard from him, even in person. But that was only sound. Everybody said Nixon won the debate with JFK IF they only got it on radio. On tv, JFK killed it.

So. If anybody watched, did he stick to the script? Was his delivery carefully crafted, or spontaneous?

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:30 am

I still think Joe could have won and served admirably.
I think he could have served admirably: I really doubt that he could have won, despite his very controlled speech last night, because the images of that debate performance a month ago would have been played over and over again and sufficient people (from a R point of view) would have sat on their hands and not voted.

I missed the Raskin speech - a great line.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Bill, to an extent I think you are correct, there are some who will not vote for Harris because she is female (and FWIW, some because she is black), but there are others who will vote for her exactly for the same reasons (and, even ore, some will be moved to come to the polls rather than remain home for exactly the same reasons. Concern about what a Trump administration would bring can only motivate a certain number of people to get the vote out; I think the dems need the additional excitement and motivation that a ticket like Harris/Walz brings and hopefully this will turn the tide. As BSG pointed out, Hillary got a majority of the votes cast in 2016, so I am optimistic (even though our arcane way of electing our president can sometimes bite you in the ass).

As for the convention, while I listened to a replay of Biden's speech 9and I liked it), as I said, I generally avoid watching them. I generally deplore pep rallies (avoiding them like the plague in school), and this is what I see the conventions are (and, more recently, even the SOTU address has become--but this is for another thread); but if it motivates those who like this sort of thing to get out the vote, then I applaud it, and celebrate it by watching a movie instead.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:54 am
The love-fest (I love my daddy! I love my husband!) was a little nauseating.
I thought Ashley Biden's introduction of her dad was very touching and a good illustration of the kind of man Joe Biden is. Could you imagine Ivanka Trump saying anything even remotely similar about her father? Or Melon saying anything at all about her husband?
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

That gesture Obama made with his hands when he talked about Trump's obsession with crowd size. :lol: :ok :lol:
DEI: Definitely Earned It
“Because you have to be twice as good to get half as far.”
—The Ancestors

“I'm not courageous, I'm surrounded by cowards”
—Adam Kinzinger

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Michelle did not come to play; she was on fire. Barack is his regular self reminding everyone why he got elected twice.
GAH!